Friday, March 22, 2019

To You by Rachel Fry


To tell you the truth you are my friend above all else,

But you must know these feelings that developed can only be blamed on ourselves.

You see, you didn’t draw my eye upon first glance,

But it was the laughs, the smiles that drew us into this dance.

It was the way that we talked and the way that you listened

That I began to notice the way your eyes glistened.

It was the way we banter, neither ever admitting defeat

That I noticed the red on your cheeks and my heart skipped a beat.

I cannot believe how blind I was for so long,

Perhaps it was the unseen transition that made me hope we belonged.

And maybe that it when you noticed your feelings had changed,

From friends to something neither of us could or would explain.

Because I wanted you and I’m certain you wanted me too,

But then my head interfered saying this situation was misconstrued.

I saw the jealousy in your eyes and in your words when I went out with him.

However, I blame you for the ocean of confused I was left to swim in.

You see, if you wanted me, why were you with her?

Why would you let the line of friendship blur?

I was struggling to push down the feelings sparked in my chest,

Confused and hurt that you started this and then left.

Did you chose her because she was comfortable and safe?

Were you too scared of hurting her that it was me you wouldn’t face?

So I drew the line unable to feel like something and nothing,

Leaving my words and distance to do the crushing.

I saw you once again and my heart still fluttered,

But the distance left my head less cluttered.

While I miss your friendship most of all,

Perhaps separating ourselves truly was the best call.

1 comment:

Welcome to MU Voices

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing. I love having written." For many writers, this is a familiar feeling. Writing is hard....