Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Trapped in My Own Overcast by Rachel Fry


Once again I’m trapped in my own overcast,

The sun has disappeared behind these clouds that won’t seem to pass.

The sky has cried for days upon days,

Trapping me within this dreary haze.

Because, despite my umbrella, I still end up soaked,

Chilled to the bone and dripping from the darkness thus evoked.

I search for shelter from the ongoing storm,

Having forgotten how it feels to be warm.

But alas, it is an endless stretch of nothingness,

Within me, the lightning cracks from pain and loneliness.

The thunder then erupts from my mouth,

As I question when everything went south.

The shrieking wind steals my breath and burns my lungs,

My hair whips around my face and to my sanity I now clung.

Then, all of the chaos around me comes to a halt,

When the rain and wind suddenly cease their assault.

As the storm disappears, the word around me begins to shine,

And I realize the sun was behind the clouds the entire time.

1 comment:

Welcome to MU Voices

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing. I love having written." For many writers, this is a familiar feeling. Writing is hard....