Thursday, April 11, 2019

Cup Status by Natalie B. Taylor


I’d like to talk to you about something that might seem strange

but I promise it’ll make sense after this word exchange

I’m simply here to inform you of your cup status

options include beaker, goblet, glass, flute, mug or chalice

whatever your preference i here to remind

each cup is ready to receive, hold and contain by its design

whichever one you choose is up to you

but while I have your attention, I wanted to take some time

to let you about mine, just a thing or two

you see my clay was plucked from the purest of lands

then hand crafted from the finest of motherly hands

I was painted by childhood with the most vibrant of colors

as a teen fired in a kiln with the deepest dolor’s

yet I rise out of the darkness like rebel with a cause

I now chose to embrace my design rather than find my flaws

as student cup status I had a purpose and it was to receive

I am appreciative of that journey but thank god! now I must leave

as I begin this transition cup filled high

I look back once more, shed a tear and say my good bye

one foot in front of the other, chin to the sky

I can proudly say I am the cup that will provide

So If anything there are a few things from this poem

I’d like for you to take to your car

One, understand that cups are givers or receivers

But also maybe two way streeters

Because just a cup was designed to be

Pouring is another of its capabilities

Last but not least and I cannot express enough

You cannot pour from an empty cup

1 comment:

Welcome to MU Voices

Dorothy Parker once said, "I hate writing. I love having written." For many writers, this is a familiar feeling. Writing is hard....